Forums > Deck > Rules of the Road: INTERNATIONAL ONLY On open water, a power-driven vessel coming up ...
Question #2037
Link to Question
INTERNATIONAL ONLY On open water, a power-driven vessel coming up dead astern of another vessel and altering her course to starboard so as to pass on the starboard side of the vessel ahead would sound which signal?
A) One long and one short blast
B) Two prolonged blasts followed by one short blast
C) Two short blasts
D) One short blast
Posted: 20 May 2016 13:12 UTC  Post #1
headleerp
Deck & Engine
Total Posts: 1
This answer is wrong!
Posted: 12 Jun 2016 20:47 UTC  Post #2
nclevi2
Deck
Total Posts: 2
It isn't wrong. Rule 34(a). You are thinking within a narrow channel in international waters, 34(c).
Posted: 18 Jul 2017 09:32 UTC  Post #3
Stay36
Deck
Total Posts: 8
this answer is wrong. it should be b as I selected for my answer. however, it says the answer is c. in overtaking situation for international the whistle blast start with two prolonged blast followed by either one or two short blast.
Posted: 20 Jul 2017 06:52 UTC  Post #4
martinrw
Deck
Registered
Total Posts: 1
As nclevi2 pointed out, "one short blast" is correct. The question specifies you are in open water, as such, sound signals for narrow channels do not apply is this situation. You are simply altering course to starboard.
Posted: 20 Jul 2017 08:34 UTC  Post #5
Stay36
Deck
however, this is also an overtaking situation
Posted: 04 Dec 2017 20:01 UTC  Post #6
Kruser41
Deck
Total Posts: 15
Two prolonged before your one or two short blasts is only when overtaking in a narrow channel in international waters when you are overtaking such that the vessel being overtaken also has to move.
Posted: 04 Dec 2017 20:03 UTC  Post #7
Kruser41
Deck
Total Posts: 15
Reference Rule 9(e) and 34 (c) (i)
Posted: 12 May 2018 12:01 UTC  Post #8
jehujava
Deck
Total Posts: 3
If only the CG took the time to digest the regulations into something meaningful rather than just cut and paste the CFRs into a “handbook.” I, too, was unable to infer initially that overtaking in open ocean was the same as passing.
Posted: 07 Mar 2019 00:16 UTC  Post #9
Drcraw
Deck
I thought in open water, no passing signals are required to sound back especially if you don't have to deviate course.
No wiggle, no whistle...
Posted: 07 Mar 2019 00:17 UTC  Post #10
Drcraw
Deck
also this question is worded as if my 5 year old wrote it
1 / 2 Next Last