Forums > Deck > Rules of the Road: BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND Two barges are being pushed ahead ...
Question #280
Link to Question
BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND Two barges are being pushed ahead by a tugboat. Which statement is TRUE concerning lights on the barges?
A) The barges should be lighted as one vessel.
B) Each vessel should show sidelights.
C) Each vessel should show at least one white light.
D) The barges should be lighted as separate units.
Posted: 24 Apr 2016 18:00 UTC  Post #1
ZNorthcutt
Deck & Engine
Registered
Total Posts: 1
I don't see how B isn't a valid answer.
Posted: 24 Apr 2016 20:53 UTC  Post #2
fightclub
Deck & Engine
Total Posts: 7
Rule 24f - "shall be lighted as one vessel"
Posted: 19 Nov 2016 15:21 UTC  Post #3
KBosch1
Deck & Engine
Total Posts: 9
Hard exam
Posted: 28 Nov 2016 23:38 UTC  Post #4
captainanne
Deck & Engine
Registered
Total Posts: 5
Not sure what comment you want
Posted: 07 May 2017 21:35 UTC  Post #5
bwhittle
Deck
Total Posts: 1
The question should have stated "rigidly connected in a composite unit". Since it did not then, 24F(i) a vessel being pushed ahead, not being part of a composite unit, shall exhibit at the forward end, sidelights;
Posted: 05 Dec 2017 20:25 UTC  Post #6
Kruser41
Deck
Total Posts: 15
The two barges are lighted as one vessel. When the rules discuss being rigidly connected in a composite unit, they are talking about the tug and tow together. This is just discussing the two barges being pushed. It would make no sense to have sidelights on both of the barges being pushed ahead.
Posted: 23 Jun 2018 16:22 UTC  Post #7
flossfairy93
Deck & Engine
Total Posts: 3
The answer A only pertains if it is connected as one composite unit. This question doesnt state that.
Posted: 10 Jul 2018 10:26 UTC  Post #8
PHILIPEVIANA
Deck & Engine
Registered
Total Posts: 9
I agree with ZNORTHCUTT. What is the difference between response B and D?

As the question did not say "rigidly connected in the composite unit", I should assume they are not. Therefore, each vessel or barges (whetever) should show sidelights.

And another detail, the answer D says "the barges should be lighted ...", should be lighted with what? Which lights? Sternlight? No, this light is not required. Therefore, the answer D is incomplete.
Posted: 21 Dec 2018 18:30 UTC  Post #9
wpaanet
Deck & Engine
Total Posts: 8
Its B.. in real life its B... see it all the time on the potomac.... its B
Posted: 13 Oct 2021 13:33 UTC  Post #10
captainchipship69
Deck
Total Posts: 20
I’ve been working in the Towing industry since 1985 I have never seen a pushing unit with multiple barges whether it be two barges four barges six 8 barges 12 boxes each of them being lit separately it is always a red and green in the flashing yellow light in the center the only other things the captains will do there a different will put a steering light out in front of the load not visible to any other vessel something that they could steer on
1 / 10 Next Last