Forums > Deck > Rules of the Road: BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND A head-on situation at night is ...
Question #1811
Link to Question
BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND A head-on situation at night is one in which you see dead ahead a vessel showing which light(s)?
A) one sidelight and a masthead light
B) one sidelight and two masthead lights
C) both sidelights of the vessel and her masthead light(s)
D) one sidelight
Posted: 09 Feb 2018 13:22 UTC  Post #1
innuendo
Deck & Engine
Total Posts: 4
unless she's under sail...
Posted: 13 Feb 2018 14:34 UTC  Post #2
wbirch
Deck
Registered
Total Posts: 36
Rule 14, Head-on Situation, is between power-driver vessel only.
Posted: 13 Feb 2018 22:24 UTC  Post #3
Castaneda_89
Deck & Engine
Total Posts: 11
A head on situation is not only between PDV's
Posted: 19 Feb 2018 18:41 UTC  Post #4
wbirch
Deck
Registered
You may want to read the rule again...
Rule 14
{International]
Head-on Situation
(a) When two power-driven vessels are meeting on reciprocal or nearly reciprocal courses so as to involve risk of collision each shall alter her course to starboard so that each shall pass on the port side of the other.(pg 24)

{INLAND}
(a) Unless otherwise agreed, when two power-driven vessels are meeting on reciprocal or nearly reciprocal courses so as to involve risk of collision each shall alter her course to starboard so that each shall pass on the port side of the other.
Posted: 20 Feb 2018 18:58 UTC  Post #5
henry123m
Deck
Total Posts: 12
I agree it could be a sailboat with no masthead, but I don't get a say in their test questions.
Posted: 22 Feb 2018 20:47 UTC  Post #6
Marz
Deck
Total Posts: 1
If the other vessel is sailing then it's not a head-on situation but a hierarchy situation rule 18.
Posted: 26 Feb 2018 16:29 UTC  Post #7
wbirch
Deck
Registered
Thanks for the help MARZ. folks have got to learn how to read the CG Questions. The CG person writing the question is looking at one rule at a time.
Posted: 09 Jul 2018 17:57 UTC  Post #8
PHILIPEVIANA
Deck & Engine
Registered
Total Posts: 9
Is it possible a head-on situation when you see one masthead light and one sidelight?
Posted: 12 Aug 2022 09:33 UTC  Post #9
Easton
Deck & Engine
Registered
Total Posts: 6526
I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work! Lead generation
Posted: 12 Aug 2022 09:39 UTC  Post #10
Easton
Deck & Engine
Registered
Total Posts: 6526
It’s very informative and you are obviously very knowledgeable in this area. You have opened my eyes to varying views on this topic with interesting and solid content. Lead generation
1 / 3 Next Last