Forums > Deck > Boat measurements for a novice
Boat measurements for a novice
Posted: 11 Jun 2012 21:55 UTC  Post #1
djplagge
Deck
Registered
Total Posts: 1
Anyone, I'm new to boating so please bear with me. I have a 2004 SeaRay 220 SD which as an integrated swim platform. How does the USCG classify such a boat as far as length? The swim platform is attached but I'm not sure I would consider it buoyant since it has holds to let the water through.

"OVERALL LENGTH (L) means the horizontal distance between the outboard side of the foremost part
of the stem and the outboard side of the aftermost part of the stern, excluding rudders, outboard motor
brackets, and other similar fittings and attachments. The following additional requirements apply:
(a) Buoyant hull structures both fixed and removable are included in the overall length, and
consequently in tonnage. Portions of watertight bulwarks and similar structures that function as a
continuation of the vessel's hull and extend for a length of 10% or more of the overall length (with the
structure included) are considered to be part of the buoyant hull envelope, provided there are no hull
[color =red]openings[/color ] (such as an anchor hawsepipe) that could cause the associated space to flood. Refer to §
69.53 for the definition of watertight.
(b) Attachments that are typically not part of the buoyant hull envelope, and are therefore not included in the overall length, include bowsprits, overhanging decks, swim platforms, stern-wheel supports and
non-watertight bulwarks."
Posted: 30 Jun 2012 22:44 UTC  Post #2
borne
Deck
Registered
Total Posts: 5
It might help us if you were to say why you need to know the boat's length. Furthermore, I'm note sure where you got that information or how it pertains to your purpose. Please advise.
Posted: 22 Apr 2022 01:37 UTC  Post #3
totoking
Deck & Engine
Registered
Total Posts: 75
Sometimes it's hard to accept knowledge that I don't know, but I think I can accept and learn all the knowledge here.ë©”ì´ì €ì‚¬ì´íŠ¸
Last edited: 22 Apr 2022 05:37 UTC by totoking
1 / 1