Forums > Deck > Rules of the Road: BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND Which light(s) are required to be ...
Question #1577
Link to Question
BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND Which light(s) are required to be exhibited by a 20-meter sailing vessel while underway?
A) combined lantern
B) stern light
C) red light over a green light at the masthead
D) All of the above
Posted: 26 Feb 2018 22:19 UTC  Post #1
blainevictorwelker
Deck
Expired Member
Total Posts: 7
stern light and no side lights? rule 25 A i, ii.
Posted: 15 Mar 2018 09:45 UTC  Post #2
corydion
Deck & Engine
Total Posts: 4
this is stupid because two of these are optional and the question says required....
Posted: 16 Apr 2018 19:46 UTC  Post #3
mymicgranlund
Deck & Engine
Total Posts: 1
The question clearly states a "20 METER SAILING VESSEL" BUT Rule 25 is for less than (20 Meters) The stern light is required underway, the green over red on the mast is "optional"
Posted: 29 Oct 2019 21:15 UTC  Post #4
Boaty boat
Deck & Engine
Registered
Rule 25 says ‘ a sailing vessel underway shall exhibit sidelights and a stern light. That means any sail boat. It goes on to state in (b) less than 20 meters can combine the lights Orin addition carry more. But that doesn’t mean above 20 meters doesn’t need the side lights. Anything below 20m has options but over 20 M they’re carri g side and stern lights. Makes no sense otherwise. You could then have a massive 200 foot sailboat with only a stern light on and a much smaller boat better lit. In my opinion they got this wrong.
Posted: 30 Oct 2019 22:21 UTC  Post #5
walmart3p
Deck
Registered
This is the Coast Guard we are talking about guys lol. The question is not asking for all the lights required for that particular vessel. It is asking you to choose the required out of the ones listed options "A" and "C" is an either or situation but "B" is a mandatory. At least that's the way I understand it.
Posted: 13 Feb 2020 09:52 UTC  Post #6
schnrgrl
Deck
Total Posts: 8
25(c) - "A sailing vessel underway MAY, in addition to the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule, exhibit at or near the top of the mast, where they can best be seen, two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being red and the lower green, but these lights shall not be exhibited in conjunction with the combined lantern permitted by paragraph (b) of this rule."

25(a) "A sailing vessel underway SHALL exhibit:
(i) sidelights;
(ii) a sternlight."
Posted: 03 Apr 2020 01:03 UTC  Post #7
SailorJimmy
Deck & Engine
Total Posts: 2
LESS than 20 meters can combine sidelights and stern light in a tri-color masthead "combination lantern". This vessel IS 20m. Stern light and sidelights are required, R/G masthead optional. A combination lantern is not allowed.
Posted: 26 Jan 2022 14:51 UTC  Post #8
mikepenate1
Deck & Engine
Total Posts: 5
rong coast guard
Posted: 12 Aug 2022 10:31 UTC  Post #9
Easton
Deck & Engine
Registered
Total Posts: 6526
I don t have the time at the moment to fully read your site but I have bookmarked it and also add your RSS feeds. I will be back in a day or two. thanks for a great site. Lead generation
Posted: 12 Aug 2022 10:49 UTC  Post #10
Easton
Deck & Engine
Registered
Total Posts: 6526
I have a mission that I’m just now working on, and I have been at the look out for such information Lead generation
1 / 2 Next Last