Forums > Deck > Rules of the Road: BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND Which statement is TRUE concerning the ...
Question #1513
Link to Question
BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND Which statement is TRUE concerning the fog signal of a sailing vessel 25 meters in length, anchored in a "special anchorage area" approved by the Secretary?
A) The vessel shall sound three blasts on the whistle every 2 minutes.
B) The vessel is not required to sound a fog signal.
C) The vessel shall ring a bell for 5 seconds every minute.
D) The vessel shall sound one blast of the whistle every 2 minutes.
Posted: 14 Mar 2017 15:26 UTC  Post #1
Djardins
Deck
Total Posts: 7
Are only power driven vessels exempt in "special anchorages areas"? Sailboats are still required to use sound and signals?
Posted: 28 Jan 2018 19:04 UTC  Post #2
Sailorboy2017
Deck
Total Posts: 12
Maybe the person who writes some of these questions needs to learn the rules of the road
better before writing them. Only 29% of supposedly correct answers (but really incorrect answers)
surely speaks for itself.
Posted: 08 Feb 2018 10:23 UTC  Post #3
wbirch
Deck
Registered
Total Posts: 36
There are two key parts we are missing here.
1. This is BOTH international and Inland. So the special anchorage would only apply under international.
2. The Inland exemption for "special anchorage" is for, "...(i) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length; and
(ii) A barge, canal boat, scow, or other nondescript craft."

It takes dedication to get through these exams, but the shortest route is to lookup the question and find out why the USCG answer is correct, or the most correct.
Posted: 27 Feb 2018 17:53 UTC  Post #4
dfe
Deck
Total Posts: 8
@wbirch is correct. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this question, but it is deliberately designed to deceive the test taker.

Special anchorage only ever applies inland and only when a vessel is less than 20 meters or some kind of nondescript craft-- which a sailing vessel is not. So because this is an over 20 meter sailing vessel, inland 35 l (lima) is not applicable.

So the thrust of this question is simply that the vessel is "anchored" which means rule 35 g-j (golf through juliett) apply. Those rules only care about length and whether or not you are anchored vs. aground.
Posted: 30 Apr 2018 10:38 UTC  Post #5
blackbart
Deck
Total Posts: 1
Rule 35 (g)
Posted: 23 Apr 2019 13:06 UTC  Post #6
Mike123asd5
Deck
Total Posts: 9
No a signal is not required in these areas i want my 15 back!
Posted: 30 May 2019 01:30 UTC  Post #7
Marco Polo
Deck
Total Posts: 26
Rule 35j(i) - LESS THAN 20m is not required. Anything greater than that in a special anchorage follows the normal fog signaling rules.
Posted: 12 Mar 2022 16:37 UTC  Post #8
pbenhoff
Deck & Engine
Total Posts: 6
Less than 20m "some signal" @2 minute intervals
1 / 1