Forums > Deck > Rules of the Road: BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND You see ONLY the light shown ...
Question #32
Link to Question
BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND You see ONLY the light shown in illustration D080RR below. This could be what type of vessel?
A) under oars
B) not under command
C) towing
D) engaged in fishing
Posted: 17 Dec 2016 19:41 UTC  Post #1
BOBAGRA
Deck
Total Posts: 2
I disagree with the answer. Rule 25 both International and Inland, requires a vessel powered by oars to have a white light or lantern to be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision. The green light shown in this question could have been part of the running lights of either B, C or D (all underway).
Posted: 28 Feb 2018 02:48 UTC  Post #2
dfe
Deck
Total Posts: 8
Unpowered vessels (sailing, under oars, or towed) do not exhibit a masthead light, a.k.a. a "steaming light" to sailors. A NUC, powered, or fishing vessel would all exhibit either all-around mast lights or a masthead, depending on which one it is.

Therefore the only type of vessel that can exhibit ONLY (this is capitalized in the question) a green light is...
Posted: 03 Sep 2018 17:54 UTC  Post #3
JayhawkNavy02
Deck
Total Posts: 72
@BOBAGRA

That is not correct

In accordance with Rule 25(d)(ii) INTL and Inland, "A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights prescribed in this rule for sailing vessels, but if she does not, she shall exhibit an all around white light or have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.
Posted: 12 Nov 2020 00:42 UTC  Post #4
Mrx6m
Deck & Engine
Registered
Total Posts: 16
Yeah this seems wrong to me also - oars should have a white light. I’m always going to think this is a starboard light when I see just green
Posted: 22 Sep 2021 15:12 UTC  Post #5
Elliottm2
Deck & Engine
Registered
Total Posts: 23
That's a REALLY big row boat you got there...
Posted: 23 Aug 2022 05:59 UTC  Post #6
Robinjack
Deck
Registered