Forums > General Discussion > Old regime vs New regime questions.
Old regime vs New regime questions.
Posted: 17 Jan 2015 14:46 UTC  Post #1
son of a daughter of a sailor
Deck
Registered
Total Posts: 3
I am testing for my 3rd AGT. With my time, I qualify under the old regime. What is the difference between Old vs New regime questions? For the last few months I have been studying the older questions I could find (Rules, Nav Gen, Deck Gen, Deck Safe). Additionally, does anyone know where I can get more of the older questions?

Also, I have only been able to find newer questions in reference to Plotting and terrestrial navigation. Can anyone tell me how different they are from the new? Or where to find the older ones? Thanks
Posted: 20 Jan 2015 11:46 UTC  Post #2
poodlefaking
Deck
Registered
Total Posts: 1
You will take the new combined 2nd/3rd. The questions are not from a old bank they are updated and used all the time. The plotting is now from the new, no more old 3rds, in fact it is 15 plotting questions or so. Just get the new Murphy's books and it will tell you all the questions. No more loran, RDF or ex-meridan. hope this helps
Posted: 20 Jan 2015 20:08 UTC  Post #3
Deck
Registered
Thanks for the info. I was told differently by the NMC attendant back in June. I never did confirm with my local REC if there were in fact two different exams or not. Looks like I will have to refocus on my questions. I am scheduled to test less than 2 weeks from now. At least this explains to me why I have had so much trouble finding older questions.
Posted: 23 Jan 2015 18:22 UTC  Post #4
Aghaleb2014
Engine
Registered
A mariner seeking an original national endorsement or raise of grade based on training or service started before March 24, 2014, will be examined under the regulations in effect before that date unless they have specifically requested to examine for their endorsement under the final rule published by the Coast Guard on December 24, 2013, (78 FR 77796).
Posted: 24 Jan 2015 19:36 UTC  Post #5
Deck
Registered
So I was correct to previously study just old regime questions? If so can someone tell me where I can find some plotting and terrestrial questions from the old question bank? Thanks
Posted: 15 Apr 2015 08:01 UTC  Post #6
tayrunner
Engine
Registered
Upgrade to 3AE. I am seeking advice to whether take the new modules or the old modules or if there is a difference. I heard the 3AE new exams are easier. Does anyone have any feedback. I am thoroughly confused because I have now studied both!
Thanks!
Posted: 02 May 2015 02:27 UTC  Post #7
luluface7
Engine
Registered
Total Posts: 2
i thought this site was going to be free? and when i started using this site it was stated that this site was free and will remain free...nearly 3 weeks later you have changed this, makes things very difficult being on a ship trying to study for a test when i get off and have no way of paying for this!!!!
Posted: 03 May 2015 15:31 UTC  Post #8
Shawn
Deck & Engine
Expired Member
Total Posts: 195
Luluface,

USCGQ has been free for the past 7 years. Hundreds if not thousands of hours have been spent developing this site (for free). Since our opening we have grown past our means and our operating costs have exceeded our advertising income. Because of this, we have had to start charging for the services. I don't see how you have no way of paying for the service, given PayPal accepts all types of payments.
Posted: 03 May 2015 18:15 UTC  Post #9
RUATurtle
Deck
I think you have done a great job with this site. I am doing an open book test and all the questions are here. I can't imagine how much time you put into this. We all hate to pay for content but you have to make a living.
Posted: 05 May 2015 02:06 UTC  Post #10
luluface7
Engine
Registered
Total Posts: 2
im on an msc ship and only some sites are open do to the nature of the vessle.. i was just wondering why the site changed.. thank you for response and when i get in to port i will subscribe...
Posted: 20 Aug 2015 01:29 UTC  Post #11
capcarl
Deck
Registered
To RUA Turtle. What do you mean, Iam doing an open book test and "ALL THE QUESTIONS ARE HERE". I just received my 100 question continuity test (3 modules). There are questions on the test I have never heard of, especially Great Lakes questions. The questions on my 500 grt masters test 14 years ago were nothing like the ones on these modules. Some place I saw a reference to Murphy's books, Ihave never heard of them , where can they be obtained? For anyone who can answer these comments, please reply to capcarl@gmail.com. I am not a computer geek, therefore, may never see this site again, :). Thank you, Cap Carl, Saipan.
1 / 6 Next Last