Forums > Deck > Rules of the Road: BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND What is a "vessel restricted in ...
Question #162
Link to Question
BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND What is a "vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver"?
A) A vessel laying revetment mats to provide bank protection along a channel
B) A large tanker that is being towed as a dead ship to dry dock
C) A vessel fishing with a bottom trawl that must remain on course
D) A deep-draft vessel that can only navigate in a dredged channel
Posted: 29 Mar 2016 09:41 UTC  Post #1
monadyne
Deck
Total Posts: 18
All I could find on-line as a reference to bottom trawlers was this:

BOATING TIPS -- JANUARY 1996

... for vessels Restricted in their ability to maneuver. This would include dredges, pile drivers, tugs with awkward tows, very large ships, and a few kinds of fishing vessels such as bottom-fishing trawlers.

The Regulations don't include mention of bottom trawling ---but they don't mention revetment mats either
Posted: 13 May 2016 13:00 UTC  Post #2
Robius68
Deck & Engine
Total Posts: 10
this question is WHACK!
Posted: 16 Jan 2017 17:52 UTC  Post #3
infinimitsu
Deck
Expired Member
Total Posts: 19
They don't mention vessels laying revetment mats specifically, but there are any number of infinitely long numbers of situations where a vessel might be considered RAM. "from the nature of her work".
Posted: 31 Jan 2018 16:30 UTC  Post #4
corydion
Deck & Engine
Total Posts: 4
soo... all the options are correct......
Last edited: 02 Feb 2018 15:07 UTC by corydion
Posted: 08 Feb 2018 09:54 UTC  Post #5
wbirch
Deck
Registered
Total Posts: 36
There are times when the right answer is clear when we review each option. Corydion's thought is close, however B, is being towed therefor any RAM option would be for the tug doing the tow. C is better defined as a Fishing vessel. and C is just a vessel that is restricted to confines of the narrow channel. In international rules it may be Constrained by her draft, but regardless the restriction is NOT from the nature of her work.

I learned years ago to stop looing for why the Coast Guard is wrong, and find the best answer. Sometimes they are wrong, but I can't be certain until I have dissected each option. focus on the goal of getting the license. Then id you don't like the sea life, apply for one of the opening at the NMC where you can fix the bad questions.
Posted: 11 Jul 2018 07:49 UTC  Post #6
PHILIPEVIANA
Deck & Engine
Registered
Total Posts: 9
Totally agree with Wbirch!
Posted: 04 Dec 2022 04:22 UTC  Post #7
Sunil1605
Deck
Registered
Total Posts: 2
95 mtr vessel aground