Forums > Deck > Rules of the Road: BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND If a towing vessel and her ...
Question #385
Link to Question
BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND If a towing vessel and her tow are severely restricted in their ability to deviate from their course, they may show lights in addition to their towing identification lights. These additional lights may be shown if the tow is __________.
A) pushed ahead
B) towed alongside
C) towed astern
D) All of the above
Posted: 13 Aug 2015 06:55 UTC  Post #1
Swoc382
Deck
Total Posts: 5
Rule 27 is unclear if it shall be only a stern tow. Only says towing operation.
Posted: 20 Mar 2017 19:01 UTC  Post #2
Buzz.Lightyear
Deck & Engine
Expired Member
Total Posts: 3
the key word is may, you always have to show the required lights, but you may show additional lights if you so desire. If towing a stern, it's a good idea to light up the tow with a from the towing vessel
Posted: 08 Oct 2018 03:57 UTC  Post #3
Corralgang
Deck & Engine
Total Posts: 25
So no R W R if you are pushing ahead or towing along side ? You can be restricted in your ability to maneuver if you are pushing ahead or towing along side. This makes no sense to me.
I answered, D) all of th above

* is it just people like me trying to pass the test that are answering other people’s questions or are there people in charge of this site actually looking and responding to our questions?
Posted: 12 Mar 2019 15:02 UTC  Post #4
ttaylor
Deck
Total Posts: 7
RAM pertains to any condition, due to the nature of the work, prevents the vessel from maneuvering per the rules. This can be pushing, side tow or stern tow. Answer should be D. All of the above. See Rule 3(g)(vi).
Posted: 15 Jul 2019 17:03 UTC  Post #5
mplee4852
Deck
Expired Member
Total Posts: 1
RULE 27
Vessels not under command or restricted in their ability to manoeuvre
(i) three all-round lights in a vertical line where they can best be seen. The
highest and lowest of these lights shall be red and the middle light shall
be white;
(ii) three shapes in a vertical line where they can best be seen. The highest
and lowest of these shapes shall be balls and the middle one a diamond;
(iii) when making way through the water, masthead light or lights, sidelights
and a sternlight, in addition to the lights prescribed in sub-paragraph (i);
Lights and shapes 117
(iv) when at anchor, in addition to the lights or shapes prescribed in subparagraphs
(i) and (ii), the light, lights or shape prescribed in Rule 30.
(c) A power-driven vessel engaged in a towing operation such as severely
restricts the towing vessel and her tow in their ability to deviate from their
course shall, in addition to the lights or shapes prescribed in Rule 24(a),
exhibit the lights or shapes prescribed in sub-paragraphs (b)(i) and (ii) of this
Rule.
Posted: 18 Oct 2019 16:46 UTC  Post #6
Celanouscgq1
Deck & Engine
Total Posts: 9
Yes, would ADMIN please correct this question!
Posted: 06 Aug 2020 16:24 UTC  Post #7
brcarr
Deck & Engine
Registered
Total Posts: 4
27 (c) A power-driven vessel ENGAGED IN TOWING OPERATIONS such as severely restricts the towing vessel and her tow in their ability to deviate from their course shall, in addition to the lights or shapes prescribed in Rule 24(a) (two masthead lights, sidelights; a sternlight; a towing light) exhibit the lights or shapes prescribed in subparagraphs (b)(i) and (ii) of this Rule. ( red white red)
Posted: 22 May 2021 23:53 UTC  Post #8
Erictoxey
Deck
The answer should be “D” per Rule 27(c).
Posted: 22 Feb 2023 05:03 UTC  Post #9
Trilaen
Deck & Engine
Registered
The key word is may, you always have to show the required lights, but you may show additional lights if you so desire. If towing a stern, it's a good idea to light up the tow with a from the towing vessel <a href="https://trilaen.com/">Trilaen</a>
Posted: 19 May 2023 03:26 UTC  Post #10
mudasir5454
Engine
Registered
Total Posts: 584
This is actually the kind of information I have been trying to find. Thank you for writing this information. medicalnegligencelawfirms Brisbane
1 / 2 Next Last