Forums > Deck > Rules of the Road: BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND The tug shown in illustration D024RR ...
Question #287
Link to Question
BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND The tug shown in illustration D024RR below is greater than 50 meters and severely restricted in her ability to deviate from her course. Which lights would be displayed from the towing vessel?
A) Three white masthead lights, red-white-red all round lights, sidelights and two towing lights
B) Two white masthead lights, red-white-red all round lights, sidelights, stern light and a towing light
C) Three white masthead lights, two all round red lights, sidelights, stern light and a towing light
D) None of the above
Posted: 09 Feb 2015 15:07 UTC  Post #1
Jstark365
Deck
Registered
Total Posts: 2
Could i get an explanation on why A would not be the correct answer for this
Posted: 09 Feb 2015 15:09 UTC  Post #2
Jstark365
Deck
Registered
figured it out
Posted: 24 Aug 2015 08:54 UTC  Post #3
Bikis22
Deck
Total Posts: 8
I would like to know too why A is not the answer..
Posted: 24 Aug 2015 11:00 UTC  Post #4
Shawn
Deck & Engine
Expired Member
Total Posts: 195
It's because the towing vessel is greater than 50 meters. It will need a second masthead light "abaft of and higher than the forward one".

Here is the break down of rules/confusion...

Rule 23(a)(ii) lights required for power driven vessels underway says the vessel needs a second masthead light because its greater than 50 meters.. But then Rule 24(a)(i) lights required for towing/pushing says: "Instead of the light prescribed in Rule 23(a)(i) or 23(a)(ii), two masthead lights in a vertical line." THEN there is Rule 24(d) "A power-driven vessel to which Rule 24(a) or (c) applies shall also comply with Rule 23(a)(i) and 23(a)(ii)"
Posted: 22 Feb 2016 19:14 UTC  Post #5
DS0824072
Deck & Engine
Registered
Total Posts: 1
None of the above is the answer because the towing vessel won't have a towing light, the last vessel being towed will for visibility purposes.
Posted: 10 Mar 2016 10:37 UTC  Post #6
caaptkeene
Deck & Engine
Total Posts: 17
I guessed "A". After further review believe "D" is correct because towing vessel would show only "1" towing light (yellow) above the stern light when towing astern.
Posted: 12 May 2016 15:13 UTC  Post #7
Mo
Deck
Total Posts: 6
Here's why they are ALL Wrong:
A): 3 white Masthead lights would be "International only", Greater than 50 meters would require an "After Masthead" light. 2 towing lights is "Inland Only" when pushing ahead or tied alongside.
You see where this is going?
Right answer: Three Masthead lights, Second/Aftermasthead light, Red White Red vertical lights, Stern light, Towing light, Side lights, and don't get me started on shapes and lights for the towed vessels.
Posted: 13 Oct 2018 05:07 UTC  Post #8
Corralgang
Deck & Engine
Total Posts: 25
3 masthead lights for 65 meter towing vessel.
Posted: 30 Apr 2019 21:41 UTC  Post #9
markman5306
Deck
Registered
Total Posts: 1
Rule 24(d) A power-driven vessel to which paragraph (a) or (c) of this Rule applies shal also comply with Rule 23(a)(ii).

Simply put because the vessel is over 50 meters in length it is required to have a second masthead light abaft of and higher than the forward on.

They tricked us on this one.
Posted: 23 Feb 2020 13:32 UTC  Post #10
bigwavehomes
Deck & Engine
Rule 27 (c)
1 / 2 Next Last